So I'm a profound music nerd. Music Tech and Performance are what I want to double major in.* I go to amateur orchestras and vocal jazz festivals for fun. I have been known to go into a sort of music fugue state when I'm allowed to play a really good grand piano. This is all backstory for a recent discovery I have made: music crushes are totally a thing.
Now, music crushes aren't like normal crushes. It's not the person themselves that is the object of the crush: it's their talent. For example, Kanye West may be an utter [REDACTED], but his music is good. If someone has a music crush on him, they can completely dislike him, but want to run away and elope with his talent. That person has a music crush on him. Music crushes are completely unrelated to gender, they can compliment or be separate from every other realm of human affection, and are closely related to celebrity crushes in that neither require ever actually meeting the person in question. Music crushes are simply a more refined sort of celebrity crush.
I have a ton of music crushes, due to hanging around with and/or listening to many, many amazing musicians. I am not afraid to admit this. Cases in point: Roger Treece, vocal improviser extraordinaire, ** my piano teacher, my all-time favorite accompanist, improviser and orchestral composer, my all-time favorite straight piano composer, my vocal coach who is a wonderful woman and unfortunately does not have a website, and many, many more.
Um, there isn't really a point to this, I guess. Except maybe to show off awesome people, all but one of whom I've talked to.* So. Go to those sites!
*I'm also a bit of an English nerd. I was in fits trying to decide whether to strand that preposition or not. Then I decided that 'are what in which I want to double major' sounded utterly stupid. It still sounds wrong, though. Gah.
**I sang for him once. He's awesome, and looks a lot like this guy, who is completely unrelated but also awesome, for completely different reasons.
No comments:
Post a Comment