Friday, October 26, 2012

Character Interview with Jim, Morgan, and Nathan

 So the basic layout of relationships at the beginning of the book is going to be three separate, distinct groups - Tammany and Cale, the Cafe group; Jim, Morgan, and Nathan, the Music Inc. group; and Andrew and Grace, the New-to-Town group. The NtT's are hired, one at the cafe and one at Music Inc., and that's when the overlap starts. Outlining through blog posts - acceptable or no?

Background for the three:
Jim Reinhart came from a very blue-collar family, with parents who worked basic service jobs for cash. He won a full ride to College University after writing an essay expounding on the rights of the lower-class and the responsibilities of government. Now a math major, extremely intelligent, will flirt with anything that moves - a defense mechanism, because charm got him out of a lot of trouble as a kid.

Nathan Harding came from American nobility, more or less - his father owns the major recording label Music Inc. He works there as a BI manager, and is amazingly good at what he does. He's more or less expected to take over the company after his father retires. He met Jim when they were in college, and they were roommates for two years - they still are, Jim paying minimum rent to Nathan because he doesn't want to feel like a leach while he figures out grad school. Nathan's cynical, sarcastic, and generally expects the worst from everyone. However, when he meets someone whom he deems 'legitimate,' he is the most loyal person on the planet. Has a soft spot for his cousin Morgan.

Morgan Hart is the other heir apparent to Music Inc. Where Nathan is probably going to be the director of the board, Morgan is going to be the actual power behind the throne - key to choosing soon-to-be-popular bands, etc. to add to the label. She always seems to know just a little bit more than everyone else - wrong-footing her is almost impossible. She loves her cousin, and likes some people, but she doesn't suffer fools gladly. It's a regular joy for those who know her to watch her destroy someone who's being an idiot seemingly on purpose. She will occasionally go a little too far, and tends to feel guilty for that.

  • What is your lifelong dream?
    •  J: Graduate school. Don't know how, because that shit's expensive. But yeah, a Master's in math, if not a PhD.
    • N: Becoming the head of Music Inc.
    • M: Original. To become a world-recognized salsa dancer.
    • N: That's a complete lie. You want to move to England and have ten cats.
    • M: Five.
  • How do you feel about your life in general?
    •  N: I'm quite happy with it all. No complaints.
    • M: I'm a little bored, but I can usually fix that by meddling in others' lives. 
    • J: You're an evil woman.
    • M: Yep.
    • J: Anyway, if I won the lottery and didn't have to work in a freaking gas station to earn enough for my Master's, I'd be perfectly happy. Actually, I'd probably settle for just not having to work at the gas station.
  • What do you fear most?
    • M: In the secure knowledge that everyone involved will forget this entire conversation, I can safely say my greatest fear is loneliness. That's why I have so many friends.
    • J and N: .... Seriously?
    • M: Shut up.
    • J: Greatest fear would be heights. 
    • N: Morgan, you're sure no one will remember any of this?
    • M: Of course.
    • N: Then disappointing my father.
    • M: I KNEW IT. 
    • N: Shut up.
  • If you could spend a week anywhere in the world, where would it be?
    • N: New York, in the boardrooms of iTunes and Spotify.
    • J: All work and no play makes Nathan a dull boy. 
    • N: It also makes him successful.
    • M: Now, boys...
    • J: Anyway, Oxford or the Bahamas, with a tall, tan someone.
    • M: Any hints?
    • J: No.
    • M: Fine. Probably Paris during Christmas.
  • What's the worst argument you've ever been in?
    • J: My father wasn't happy with my choice of career. That's all that needs to be said.
    • M: There was that row with my friend Molly, back in high school.
    • N: I don't argue. I discuss at high volume.
  • Who's your best friend?
    • M: These two.
    • N: These two.
    • J: These two.
  • If you knew you were going to meet your true love tomorrow, how would you react?
    • M: I'd be incredulous. I don't believe in true love.
    • N: What she said.
    • J: I'd be interested, but wary. Meeting true love at this point could screw stuff up.
    • M: Such a romantic.
    • J: Says the woman who doesn't believe in true love.
  • Final question: How would you react if your friends suddenly no longer wanted anything to do with you?
    • N: I wouldn't be surprised. I migh be a little pissed off if they didn't give me a reason, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    • J: I'd say go screw yourselves and find new friends.
    • M: ... Have a panic attack, maybe. Enter a depressed spiral of booze and pills.
    • N: That would be a sight.
    • J: Hey, Morgan, no one likes you.
    • M: Go screw yourself.

These will be fun to write, I think. My favorite character and his sister come next, though - Andrew and Grace something-or-other. Who needs last names?

    4 comments:

    1. I think it's perfectly acceptable to outline via blog posts. Then again, I'm me....So, yeah.
      'Cept for then you got me thinking about how there's all these character questionnaires you're supposed to fill out, but the thing is that how are the characters supposed to answer them? People don't like hearing the truth, and are afraid of it. If someone asked me what my greatest fear is I'd tell them to screw themselves with an actual corkscrew. Then again, I'm me...So, yeah. Character questionnaires suck on a metaphysical level.
      Feel free to delete this comment. I'm rambling anyway.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I just start out assuming that they've been kidnapped, locked in a room together, been told that they'll be freed after answering a questionnaire, and then are mind-wiped afterwards. Or that their bodies ascend to another, question-filled plane of existence while they sleep. Either way. Whatever's not going to screw with the story overly much.

        Delete
      2. Whatever works for you, I guess...And I'm not really in a position to complain about anything because I never outline and amn't even doing NaNo this year.

        Delete
      3. It makes my world just a little bit more surreal. And surreality is always good.

        Delete