Friday, July 13, 2012

And Suddenly, the Author Changed Her Mind!

(Ooh, lookit, a blog post that was not scheduled. Oooh!)

So I was writing the synopsis for Americana, and I actually got halfway through it last night. I was quite proud of myself. Then I actually read it, and realized that it was an accidental but very unsubtle Jesus metaphor. Which is absolutely not at all what I wanted to write. So. Those character things I've been posting in lieu of actually giving you lovely people (All like, two of you. But you're both lovely!) real posts? Those are going to be put on hold, in a 5-star spa specifically for characters of indecisive authors. They will get written about, I'm just going to have to rework some stuff so Americana doesn't turn into some sort of author tract.

My plan was always to write a comedy this August, and the best comedy I've written (and my favorite thing I've written, period) was written without character summaries, without a plot outline, and without a clue what I was planning on doing. All I had were chapter subtitles. (Chapter Four: In which there is an explosion, our hero is mailed to Chesterwick, and there is time travel; necessarily not in that order.) I'm going to do that, this year. It's fun, I'm able to be funny - it's way more funny if not even the author is expecting it - and as an added benefit, I suddenly gain time to write my college essays. Win-win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment